Tuesday, November 26, 2013

**Review** False Start ~ Love & Skate 5 ~ Lila Felix


Synopsis ~ 

Rex has firsthand knowledge of how love can rip a person to shreds. How it can swallow a person whole, leaving them gasping for air, and dying a lonely person. He watched his mother give everything she had to his father and then she died, too weak and frail to continue on. His father, the deranged man who could barely feed himself—taking care of him left a permanent crease on Rex's heart. He swears he can still hear his pleas for help in his sleep. Nothing can give him solace from the painful memories.

Except this girl.

Hayes is a constant and consistent optimist. She's witnessed her mother and father’s almost perfect marriage and taken it as an example of what she wants. But she can’t seem to find a guy who is sincere. She’s dated them all— snake-in-the-grass jerks, straight-up commitment-phobes, fakes and phonies alike. They all fit her perfect dream on the outside, but when the relationship gets to the nitty gritty, they all crumble like stale bread.
Unable to find a better man, she settles for nothing instead, wondering if a man who treats her right could even exist. With perfect parents and a team name like I Kilda Girl, that man would have a lot to live up to.

Until this boy.

When she sees a rugged, tattooed guy who shows up at all the derby bouts, she wonders if chasing the bad boy might just be right.



Amy's Thoughts ~ 

I love when I find a new Lila Felix book in my hands. I know that regardless of the premise of the book, there will always be a deeper topic that she explores. That is just Lila.  And False Start does not disappoint. 

Rex may be a part of the Black Family, but he stills feels like an outsider. He's a loner, thanks to years of missing out on socialization by taking care of his father. His father still manages to stifle him from the grave. 

Hayes appears to be the perfect girl. but appearances can be decieving. A pastry chef who finds her life's delight in baking. Hayes, she's one of those girls who makes a conscious decision to be happy. Every. Single. Day. 

Rex needs to let go of his past and embrace the future before him. Hayes needs to relive her past to show him that it's possible to be happy. 

I mentioned that "deeper topic"... Yea, I'm not even gonna mention what it is in this review as I don't want to spoil. Lets just say that when Lila picks a topic, she goes all out. She doesn't just skim the surface, she picks it apart and puts it back together. 

Being the last Love & Skate book. This one was heartbreaking to read. I love the Black family as they are my own. Lila created this amazing family and I can't help but wonder just how much better the world would be if there were more families like this one.  Saying goodbye to Chase, Sylvia, and all the Black boys and girls is a hard thing to do. So instead I'll say "I'll see a later boys, I'm sure I'll be seeing you again soon". <3


No comments:

Post a Comment