Monday, April 13, 2015

Trust the Focus ~ Megan Erickson




From the author of Make it Count comes the first novel in the In Focus series…

With his college graduation gown expertly pitched into the trash, Justin Akron is ready for the road trip he planned with his best friend Landry— and ready for one last summer of escape from his mother’s controlling grip. Climbing into the Winnebago his father left him, they set out across America in search of the sites his father had captured through the lens of his Nikon.

As an aspiring photographer, Justin can think of no better way to honor his father’s memory than to scatter his ashes at the sites he held sacred. And there’s no one Justin would rather share the experience with more than Landry.

But Justin knows he can’t escape forever. Eventually he’ll have to return home and join his mother’s Senate campaign. Nor can he escape the truth of who he is, and the fact that he’s in love with his out-and-proud travel companion.

Admitting what he wants could hurt his mother’s conservative political career. But with every click of his shutter and every sprinkle of ash, Justin can’t resist Landry’s pull. And when the truth comes into focus, neither is prepared for the secrets the other is hiding.

I wasn't really sure what to expect going into this novel. I had never read this author before, so it was going to be exciting either way. I am a fan of M/M books. I love them. This novel wasn't amazing simply because it was m/m. There was actually very little sex in the book, and ya know what? That is perfect, because this story doesn't need it. 

Living in a world of expectations, Justin decides it's time for one last wild ride before he allows his mother to tether him down in her world. A trip of remembrance. A trip that will allow his to not only say goodbye to the one person who has always loved him - his father, but a trip that will allow him to spend the last few months of his seemingly normal life with his best friend. The best friend that holds his heart. 

Landry has loved Justin for years. Probably since the beginning of their friendship. He never said anything about it. Why? Justin is straight. So why put his heart on the line? Landry is looking so forward to traveling across the country is throwing a stone or two in the plan that Justin has for his trip. What's a few little side stops? But as each day passes, Landry begins to notice things. Justin begins to notice a few things. How do they deal with their budding attraction and allow Justin to follow the life that has been planned before him? 

Justin's dad always said "Trust the Focus", Justin just never realized he was referring to more than the one on his camera. 


My first stories written in crayon-scrawl on loose-leaf notebook paper were about my childhood pet — a deaf cat with dandruff. And after covering real-life dramas as a journalist, I decided I liked writing my own endings better and switched to fiction. My romance novels full of humor and heart are a far cry from those early scribblings about my hygiene-deficient pet.
I live in southern Pennsylvania, with my husband, two kids and two cats. I like a good pint of beer, a greasy bacon cheeseburger, homemade mac and cheese, and a great book with a happily ever after. When I’m not tapping away on my laptop, I’m probably listening to the characters in my head who just. Won’t. Shut. Up.

I am represented by Marisa Corvisiero of Corvisiero Literary Agency.

Links

No comments:

Post a Comment